Saturday, November 9, 2013

Technology Usage Statistics

The following timetoast timeline compares statistics of technology use over various generations.  As you might expect, the Generation @  regularly use technology more so than the Silent Generation. However, some data has shown that there is an increase in use by the silent generation, and the baby boomer generation. As the complexity of society merges with technology, people will have no choice but to embrace the tools and become connected. Especially when familiar things like pay phones, or even Blockbuster are becoming obsolete.
Enjoy.

4 comments:

  1. I see you figured out a way to do it. I had thought of doing it that way, but it didn't seem right to me. Sometimes I think too black and white, but I also think there's a right tool (or maybe tools) for every job, as they say. But I got to try out 2 new tools, so it was good.

    BTW, we Baby Boomers have been using technology for a long time now :) Or at least some of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,
    I agree, this website is cool, but not necessarily for this assignment. I had a student try it out for our Tribute to Edison, but he got frustrated when he had to put in specific dates and not just a year in general. I think you did a great job with this information.

    It is interesting how much we have to double check tools or vocabulary that this generation may not know. For example, we had a test question that talked about someone needing to stop and pick up film before a concert -opps. Luckily kids didn't focus on that detail. I did find I needed to explain a bunch of Edison's inventions, like the phonograph.
    Great post,
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see that you gave TimeToast a try. I couldn't quite figure out how to approach the data this way - I too am a black and white gal when it comes to data. This site is very cool but for this assignment wasn't quite for me. I did however get to become somewhat familiar with some new tools and that is quite awesome. How were you able to visualize your data by utilizing this tool? I would really like to become more familiar with it as it does seem to be quite useful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michael, It's cool to see TimeToast. I'm going to show my kids that tool. I can see it coming in handy for a couple of high school students.

    ReplyDelete